🔕 🔔

California wine country dinner ideas

I'm making a weeknight, CA-wine-country-themed dinner for 6. I was wondering if anyone had menu ideas...especially anything that can be made ahead (as in the weekend before) or in the slow-cooker or pressure-cooker since I work full-time. Thanks!

asked by MTMitchell over 5 years ago

Wholefoods user icon

When I think "California Wine Country," I always think of Joanne Weir's cooking show on PBS. Only a few of her recipes appear on her website (http://www.cookingclass...), but a couple of them can clearly be made in advance.

164ae6cf b233 45ae a461 8d7543fae705  melissa mitchell

Excellent suggestion!!!! Thank you!!

1d0d675a 5598 44a5 865e 32730d2a1273  186003 1004761561 1198459 n

One of my favorite California red wine standbys is California Short Ribs http://www.food52.com/recipes... It can be made well ahead of time and even frozen. I pair it with Cabernet Sauvignon from the Napa Valley. (I also share other red wine recipes on my blog...it's my business!) Current-Vintage.com

That looks awesome. Think I'll make it for my husband and me on Sunday! I have a non-red meat eater coming Wednesday. Decided on all Joanne Weir recipes -- smoked trout and lemon crostini, goat cheese and herb stuffed chicken breasts, beet and watercress salad with walnuts and Gorgonzola, and roasted potatoes augmented by sweet little carrots that came in our CSA box. I plotted out do-ahead steps and thought dark chocolate and dried fruit for dessert. And full disclosure.... The party is themed as it is because five of my best girlfriends and I are gathering to watch The Bachelor and he is a vintner (supposedly...). I thought we should have a good meal to accompany the brain junk food...!

Sounds fun. He's a cute wine maker from Sonoma....they are even cuter in napa!

C1925f5b 917a 4e62 8c98 8ff7031b0b36  food54 profile pic

I may be too late for your party, but here's a great recipe for next time. Pork braised in red wine, pomegranate juice and soy sauce with ginger, garlic and star anise. It's heavenly and you can definitely make it ahead of time: http://www.sfgate.com/cgi...

YUM!! Definitely making that for our next gathering. I do like a theme....!