🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Dirty Chai Toddy

Abc2b9aa 0a8b 45bf b821 a841827efb83  img 2291

I have a question about the recipe "Dirty Chai Toddy" from gingerroot. I'm trying to make this for a large group, and as I was simmering the half & half and spices, the liquid separated. Help! What did I do wrong?

asked by JenLeePA over 5 years ago

I'm using about 64 ounces of liquid in total, and scaled the spices upwards accordingly. It hadn't even reached a simmer yet when the liquid broke. It's now totally gross and I'm hoping I can figure out what went wrong before I make a second attempt. :(

Ec89bac4 d90d 46fb a336 04afd14d1e80  img 1958

Oh no! I'm sorry to hear that happened. Were you whisking the mixture as it was heating up? For that amount of liquid, maybe the prolonged time on the stove would require more stirring to prevent separation before it reached a simmer. Since I've never experienced separation with this, that is my best guess. I'm hoping someone else will chime in!