What are "frying olives"?

8149093c 87e4 4273 b6d4 5b75e52eb84e  photo

There was a big bin of wrinkly, dry, almost jujube-looking little orbs at a farmers market stand this morning. They were labeled "frying olives." The farmer said you just fry them for a few minutes and serve, but I wanted to see if anyone else knew any more about them.

asked by linzarella over 6 years ago

bigpan

I've not heard the term but have enjoyed many European olive markets. I would take the advice of the vendor and fry them a minute. You can do this with any kind of olive. Take some olives and taste test yourself cold from the fridge, warm at room temp, and heated in the oven or a frying pan...I am sure you will notice the differences.
Many recipes (European) can increase in flavor by adding olives (and cutting back on salt).
Visit a good Italian or Greek deli and buy an assortment of olives and have fun - not just for cooking, but nice with vodka too !

Droplet

For a while now we have been getting these wrinkly black olives that ,if I have understood right, have been steamed at some point in the curing process. They are softer than other olives, greasier on the outside and their pit is/ or has detached from them on the inside. They are very flavorful. You could try to reconstitute the ones at your market and see if you like them. They might have something in common with the ones I have.

Redd Howard Robben

I came here with the same question after finding some at the farmers' market and being given the same instructions. I get where the other two answers are coming from but these olives are not processed at all. Fresh off the tree, not cured. Fried them up with some garlic, oil, and salt. Bitter but interesting flavor!

I know "fried olives"...either plain or stuffed. Very tasty. Usually coated in flour egg breadcrumbs. May be related to what you found in farmer's market.
http://thewanderlustkitchen...
https://www.ottolenghi...