Anyone have any experience with Emile Henry pizza stone?

asked by Marishka almost 7 years ago

bigpan

No, but I went to the lumberyard and bought 4 unglazed terra cotta floor tiles and put them in the oven and heat up to 600F for my pizzas - which turn out great. (and, I assume I saved a few $$$ in the process). A sprinkle of cornflour keeps the pie from sticking. I also suggest investing in a good peel - the metal kind not the thick wooden ones.

I want one of those too! But can't justify the cost now.
I notice it has handles that are raised a bit above the surface of the stone and wonder if that would make using a large pizza peel more difficult?

I also tend to destroy pizza stones either by getting careless about splashing water in the stove for steaming bread, or, as is my habit, leaving the stone in the lower rack for better heat diffusion in the oven, and a pot on the middle rack boils over on it.

But I love Emile Henry cookware and if I could afford it, it would replace all my enamel on cast-iron stuff with their flame ware.

LOVE the EH pizza stone, and as Sam1148 says, everything else in the brand also. For the quality, they're pretty reasonable. I've also used unglazed quarry tiles. The problem I kept running into is that the surface is discontinuous, so they slip out of position easily. If you're going to use them, be sure to get those made in the US, as by law they must be lead-free.