A question about a recipe: Homemade Fig Newtons

Fig Newton's are my husband's favorite store-bought cookie. I was wondering what kind of dried figs you used, and also, what is wholemeal flour? Thanks!

21e35fe3 5b77 4bbe 987d 334cbb06a92b  homemade fig newtons
Recipe question for: Homemade Fig Newtons

susan g January 7, 2012

Judging from Amee's use of the terms plain flour, wholemeal flour, and muscovado sugar, I imagine she is from England or one of the other linked countries. I would suppose: white flour, whole wheat flour and a moist brown sugar. But let's hear from the author!

Amee
Amee January 8, 2012

Yes indeed Susan, that is exactly what I meant ! All-purpose flour, whole-wheat flour and soft brown sugar it is. I will brush up on my American terminology. (Irish lady here)

I use the regular raw, brown colored dried figs that you can get from a health-food store or supermarket, not the sugared glade figs which are not raw. I might pop a photo of them on to the recipe if that would be helpful?