🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Mujaddara with Spiced Yogurt

B22e411f adbb 446f ad00 f349080d40d5  010411f 496

I'm thinking about serving this (Mujaddara with Spiced Yogurt) at a multi-vore dinner party (carnivores + vegetarians present), alongside a braised pork shoulder. What herbs/spices/aromatics would you use for the pork shoulder? (No chilis or paprika allowed, due to allergies.) I'll probably serve Amanda's fabulous mashed butternut squash and an enormous salad as well. Thanks, everyone. ;o)

asked almost 6 years ago

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I'd probably go with a similar spice profile to the spiced yogurt so the pork could potentially marry the mujaddara on the omnivores plates. I'd also consider doing Diana Kennedy's Carnitas. http://www.food52.com/recipes...

I would go with traditional Middle Eastern flavors. Za'atar and Sumac are nice dried ground spices. You could also throw in some lemon, mint, bay, thyme...

0f493ab9 068f 4498 ba2c 95c992214d52  sit2

I'd take the pork shoulder and stew it in a tagine with preserved lemons and serve on top of cauliflower couscous. http://www.food52.com/recipes...
which could do double duty for the gluten free crowd, and not repeat the rice/lentil/starch element with wheat couscous.
You could also make another tagine that's veggie only (mushrooms, eggplant, carrots, onions) and complete the middle eastern theme.

The spices in the tagines would be cumin (if that's okay), turmeric, ginger, garlic, allspice, cinnamon, cloves, and preserved lemons. (you can google up quick preserved lemons if you don't have them on hand, basically cube them very small and salt and or sugar)