A question about a recipe: The Best Breakfast Muffins

I have a question about the recipe "The Best Breakfast Muffins" from DailyMeals. What's best substitute for grapeseed oil? Is good olive oil an OK option?

• Posted by: AEC
  • January 19, 2012
Be26f059 bfcf 44e2 bcf6 174caca89074  img 0362
Recipe question for: The Best Breakfast Muffins

nutcakes
nutcakes January 19, 2012

Grapeseed is neutral in flavor, where olive oil is strong in flavor, so a better sub is vegetable oil or canola oil. However, olive oil will work fine, as long as you don't mind the flavor in a muffin.

hardlikearmour January 19, 2012

I'd go canola or vegetable oil. Light olive oil would probably be okay, but I'd avoid extra virgin.

AEC
AEC January 19, 2012

Thanks! Canola oil it is. As a follow-up question, if grapeseed oil is neutral in flavor, I wonder if the reason for opting for it is nutritional? (As you can guess, I've never used it.)

nutcakes
nutcakes January 19, 2012

Grapeseed is high in monosaturates, iirc, you can google around and find the info. Although you aren't frying, it is GREAT for frying as it won't smoke at normal temps and smoking oil is extremely unhealthy. Costco sells a large container for a reasonable/affordable price, I've found.

pierino January 19, 2012

The biggest difference between grapeseed oil and olive oil is that grapeseed has a lower smoke point. Its main value is for frying. And yes it tastes completely different.

ChefJune January 19, 2012

Many people feel that canola oil is not the healthiest choice because it is highly processed and very commercial. Grapeseed oil is also neutral in flavor and can be found as an organic product.

susan g January 19, 2012

Organically grown canola oil is also available. All processed agricultural products have problems, with the probable exception of olive oil that is made by traditional methods (from a source that tells the truth).

violist
violist January 19, 2012

This link is very clear about the differences of oils and fats in general. Though it's quite technical, it's well worth deciphering, and it may give you new insights to grapeseed oil.

http://www.rense.com/general85/grapeseed.htm

DailyMeals
DailyMeals January 19, 2012

I chose grapeseed oil for a few of the reasons above. I don't really like using canola oil in general, so I keep grapeseed oil on hand because of it's high smoke point, so I chose to use it here, although you could definitely use a light olive oil too.