Bitter melon recipes?

Does anyone have any good recipe suggestions for bitter melon? I've never had it, but thought it would be fun to try.

wietje
wietje January 19, 2012

Stir fry it, just like vegetables. Deseed the bitter melon, slice 1/4 inch thick, mix with salt for a few minutes then wash it to reduce the bitterness. Stir fry with chopped onion or shallot and garlic, some shrimp for flavor, red and green chilies for color, and a pinch of salt. Serve over rice. You can also stuff it (cut it into 2 inch tube) with shrimp or ground pork and steam it. Serve with sriracha.

Panfusine
Panfusine January 19, 2012

feel free to skip the tutorial, straight to the recipe
http://www.panfusine.com/2011/10/thursday-tutorials-call-me-melon.html

Alternatively, slice the melon using a mandoline, sprinkle liberally with salt & allow to sit for 1/2 hr, Squeeze out the liquid, rinse to get rid of excess salt. drizzle with olive oil & add cracked pepper. ROast in a 400 F oven for about 15-20 min until it turns golden, Spritz with a squeeze of lemon & serve

ubs2007
ubs2007 January 19, 2012

Bitter melon! Wow....amazing for women's health. I'm trying to track some Punjabi recipes for this since it's a specialty dish. I'll forward when I find it.

healthierkitchen
healthierkitchen January 20, 2012

someone just gave me some seeds which i plan to try to grow this year. Hopefully I will have some to use for these recipes!

Panfusine
Panfusine January 20, 2012

Bitter melon grows like a weed! Had a great harvest last year!