has anyone tried a charentais melon?

i have been lucky enough to see these the last two weekends at the farmers market. pricey little melons with very delicate rind without netting, light orange flesh, highly floral aroma and sweet musk melon taste. juicy, light and just delicious.

asked by scruz 3 months ago

Erin Aguayo

Yes! One of our amazing local farmers grows it. It is one of the sweetest, most delicate melons I’ve ever had.

Natasha

Yes, in France. They are delicious. The Cavaillon melon, which can be found in Provence, is also wonderful - typically a small melon, very sweet orange flesh, often served as a starter in Provence in the summer before the main meal.

scruz

yes, in researching this melon, i read that europe and france have many melons that we can't find. the reason being is their perishability and that is why we have the tougher skinned and netted canteloupes, which are still pretty darn good.

Good point.
Another good-tasting variety that's occasionally around is Galia, a hybrid of cantaloupe and honeydew.
https://www.organicfacts.net/health-benefits/fruit/galia-melon.html

Charentais melons have been my go to for years. Quite easy to find in SF Bay Area farmers markets.

There are a lot of cultivars from other places that aren’t commonly grown here in the USA for a variety of reasons.

Pity.

One local grower is Happy Boy Farms. They have been selling Charentais melons for years at many SF Bay Area farmers markets.

scruz

i think it was from happy boy farms. i throw a lot of money at them and route 1 farms. very nice produce.

In France they are the sweetest things this side of heaven!. The ones I have had in US - grown here - have been a mixed bag. In general, these melons are very sweet, but I think it must vary depending upon the soil they are grown in, and the climate.

Trena Heinrich
Trena Heinrich

Trena is a trusted source on general cooking.

I used to grow them in my garden when I lived in Northern California. They are delicious.