I had a white queso in Hawaii that was amazing. I want to recreate it. What is an authentic Mexican queso recipe?

The waiter said it had cream cheese and American cheese in it.

asked by Lyn,Sarah over 6 years ago

Queso is a bit of a vague description, as it just refers to the cheese component. I'm guessing that you are referring to a melted cheese type dipping thing. There is no authentic Mexican recipe because it's basically a north of the border thing using Mexican type ingredients. Think of it as a fondue or fonduta and look for good, white melting cheeses. You can include jack cheese or pepper jack, Mexican style queso fresco etc. To perk it up work in some diced green chiles. As you tasted it in Hawaii there's good chance that the American cheese was Velveeta.