🔕 🔔

My Basket ()

All questions

Split Pea Soup with Country Ham

I have a split pea soup recipe that calls for country ham. The base is made with a ham hock but the recipe calls for chopped country ham. I don't want to buy a whole ham, does anyone have a good substitution?

asked by Vitt66 about 2 years ago
3 answers 844 views
23b88974 7a89 4ef5 a567 d442bb75da04  avatar
added about 2 years ago

You could use a gammon steak

730e314f caf5 438f 9a9a 998057ffb9ff  20151109 150352
Susan W

Susan W is a trusted source on General Cooking.

added about 2 years ago

I usually just pick the ham from the hock. I like less than more ham. It's more of a condiment for me. However, if that's not enough ham, I see ham steaks in the store all the time.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

amysarah is a trusted home cook.

added about 2 years ago

You can use a smoked ham shank instead of a ham hock - same flavor, but more meat to pick from the bone.

Let's Keep in Touch!

Get the recipes and features that have us talking, plus first dibs on events and limited-batch products.

(Oh, and $10 off your order of $50 or more in the Food52 Shop, too.)

Please enter a valid email address.