🔕 🔔

Split Pea Soup with Country Ham

I have a split pea soup recipe that calls for country ham. The base is made with a ham hock but the recipe calls for chopped country ham. I don't want to buy a whole ham, does anyone have a good substitution?

asked by Vitt66 over 2 years ago

You could use a gammon steak

I usually just pick the ham from the hock. I like less than more ham. It's more of a condiment for me. However, if that's not enough ham, I see ham steaks in the store all the time.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

You can use a smoked ham shank instead of a ham hock - same flavor, but more meat to pick from the bone.