🔕 🔔

What is quinoa?

4ac41d4a cc0d 11e5 9227 3c15c2d2bb38  51 full

I have a question about the ingredient "quinoa, cook according to package directions" on the recipe "Quinoa Burritos" from SimplySarah.

asked by Chillimac over 5 years ago

53573b8d 4bf0 4ffd 843d b2e617cfeb6b  dscn3274
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Usually quinoa is simmered in 2 parts liquid to one part quinoa for about 15 minutes until the liquid is absorbed.

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

Though it looks (and works in recipes) much like a grain, quinoa is actually the seed of a leafy plant. It is an ancient food, used by the Incas and still grown in that part of South America, though some growers are now growing quinoa in the US. Nutritionally, it is a great source of vegetable protein and also contains no gluten. Most importantly, I think it's delicious.

Inpatskitchen has the cooking time down. I really like quinoa (in its various colors) but I've also seen the vegan horde cook it to mush. It cooks faster than rice and plumps up well. That little curly germ should be showing.