🔕 🔔

What is the best substitute for cilantro in a recipe ?

asked by rms over 6 years ago

wietje

I can't think of any substitute. Cilantro has a distinct flavor and smell. You can try (flat-leaf) parsley for the look.

davidpdx

Nothing is likely to substitute for the unique flavor of cilantro, but, depending on what you are making, parsley could be a good choice for adding some green freshness.

Sadassa_Ulna

For flavor I would sub lime zest depending on the recipe.

allans

Try Epazote. You will have to grow it yourself, though. Flat leaf parsley will give the look, but nothing will give the taste.

I've said this before and will say it again.

People that have "Cilantro hate" tend to react to the leaf of the plant.

My partner is one of those..hates "cilantro" but now uses it...why?
He goes all "Morita Adams" on bunch of cilantro with scissors, cutting off all the leaf...leaving just the stem of the plant. The flavor is really in in the stem and root of the plant.

IN fact we discovered this making Thai curry paste that specifically called only the roots and stems. You toss the leaf. The flavor of cilantro is still there for me..and he doesn't complain about the 'that filthy nasty soap weed'. He got some strange looks from his mom taking us to a Middle eastern place where they served flat bread with bunches of cilantro..and he proceeded to remove all the leaf and just use the stem on his bread. "I like it this way".