🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Kimchi Fried Brown Rice

D59aec76 c82a 4083 af96 efb2b6332e48  brown germinated 9337

Is it better to use just cooked and cooled rice or leftover rice, when it comes to using brown rice? I know it's better to use it for leftover white rice, but will brown rice get too hard?

asked by happycao over 5 years ago

549d9fb3 53ef 4170 b68e 8bae2e055be7  dsc 0048b

I use cooked and refrigerated rice, even for brown. I have also made it with cooked and cooled down rice when I don't have any leftovers or haven't planned ahead. They both work fine. Hope you like it!

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

If you've found that the brown rice gets hard when cooled for later use, you may need to add just a little more water when you cook it initially, but not much! If it seems hard when you use it, toss it in a small amount of water, and possibly cover it to steam a bit before serving, to redistribute moisture. Try using vegetables that give up water, such as greens or summer squash. Just keep an eye on it and adjust as needed.

Thanks! I'll probably try both ways

45629128 0a8d 458b 920a 7ce729a5ae73  stringio

fried rice--never make with fresh/hot rice or it will be gummy. You can cool to room temp and then use it.

Just used some refrigerated brown rice today and it was fine. It softens up in the pan as it heats up.