Any alternatives to mayo in this recipe?

oops, I hit the Ask Now button too soon.... I live with a rabid mayo hater, and I mean the kind of hate that is like spiritual and deeply personal, which limits my use in dishes like this one. Anyone have any suggestions for an alternative to mayo that might work here?

asked by thurston over 6 years ago

Chrissyo29

Yogurt

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

Is it the taste of mayo not liked? or something to do with the ingredients...I made a white bean" mayo" for a shrimp salad sandwich on a croissant Maybe it would work..find the "mayo" recipe here

Rachel Sanders

Ooo, I've had a tofu mayo/aioli that was awesome... it was silken tofu blended with a minced garlic clove, lemon juice, salt, pepper, plus a little cayenne pepper and dry mustard powder. I, too, live with a rabid mayo hater and he's a fan of this (he also likes super garlicky traditional aioli). Other than that, I think the yogurt suggestion is a great one.

Nicole,Pastorelli

Greek Yogurt!

softpunk

I too hate mayo and use Greek yogurt in its place. If it's a tuna sandwich or something I also like to add some mashed avocado to the mix.

lloreen

I use greek yogurt as a healthy sub too...but does he or she hate just store bought mayo or all mayo? I thought I didn't like mayo until I tasted home-made. It has a totally different flavor and consistency. I hate the thick, white stuff from the jar - but olive oil whisked with a little mustard and an egg yolk? Who could hate that? And besides, when you make it yourself you know it is pretty healthy (in moderation) Maybe you should do a test run on your partner....

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen

Pat is a trusted home cook.

I agree with lloreen...homemade mayo is soooo much better than the jarred stuff!!

Another possibility is a tahini (sesame paste) sauce, with water, lemon juice and (or not) garlic. It makes a nice sandwich spread, with a distinctive taste.