Any alternatives to mayo in this recipe?

oops, I hit the Ask Now button too soon.... I live with a rabid mayo hater, and I mean the kind of hate that is like spiritual and deeply personal, which limits my use in dishes like this one. Anyone have any suggestions for an alternative to mayo that might work here?

Chrissyo29
Chrissyo29 February 8, 2012

Yogurt

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen February 8, 2012

Is it the taste of mayo not liked? or something to do with the ingredients...I made a white bean" mayo" for a shrimp salad sandwich on a croissant Maybe it would work..find the "mayo" recipe here

Rachel Sanders
Rachel Sanders February 8, 2012

Ooo, I've had a tofu mayo/aioli that was awesome... it was silken tofu blended with a minced garlic clove, lemon juice, salt, pepper, plus a little cayenne pepper and dry mustard powder. I, too, live with a rabid mayo hater and he's a fan of this (he also likes super garlicky traditional aioli). Other than that, I think the yogurt suggestion is a great one.

Nicole,Pastorelli
Nicole,Pastorelli February 8, 2012

Greek Yogurt!

softpunk
softpunk February 8, 2012

I too hate mayo and use Greek yogurt in its place. If it's a tuna sandwich or something I also like to add some mashed avocado to the mix.

lloreen
lloreen February 8, 2012

I use greek yogurt as a healthy sub too...but does he or she hate just store bought mayo or all mayo? I thought I didn't like mayo until I tasted home-made. It has a totally different flavor and consistency. I hate the thick, white stuff from the jar - but olive oil whisked with a little mustard and an egg yolk? Who could hate that? And besides, when you make it yourself you know it is pretty healthy (in moderation) Maybe you should do a test run on your partner....

inpatskitchen
inpatskitchen February 8, 2012

I agree with lloreen...homemade mayo is soooo much better than the jarred stuff!!

susan g February 8, 2012

Another possibility is a tahini (sesame paste) sauce, with water, lemon juice and (or not) garlic. It makes a nice sandwich spread, with a distinctive taste.