Our NYC Holiday Market is open (!!!) for the weekend. Come on by »
🔕 🔔

How does one make "light cream"? I have a recipe that calls for it, but the product is not available in this area. Thank you, everyone. ;o)

I assume you can combine heavy cream, or heavy whipping cream with some lighter dairy product to make "light cream." ;o)

asked almost 5 years ago
3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

Light cream is 18-30% fat per cook's thesaurus. I think a equal mixture of heavy cream and half-and-half would work just fine as a substitute. Or 3 parts heavy cream to 1 part milk would put you somewhere between 27% and 28% fat.

84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

There's such a huge range. I wish we'd just list the percent butterfat instead of using vague names. Since there are no standards, I'd just mix according to what feels right for you, not worrying too much about precision or accuracy.

21cce3cd 8e22 4227 97f9 2962d7d83240  photo squirrel

it always helps to say what you are making because sometimes the specific dairy is more important that other times. That said, I sub light cream with half heavy cream and half whole milk.

p.s. i believe Half and Half is half light cream/half whole milk.

Not necessarily. In the US, half and half is 10.5-18 percent fat and light cream is, as HLA pointed out, 18-30 percent. So light cream and half and half could be the same product or could vary by a factor of 3. We just don't have standards.