Non-dairy non-chemical subs for heavy and sour cream

Does anyone have suggestions for what to use as a non-dairy substitute for heavy cream and sour cream? The ones that I am aware of are full of chemicals.

• Posted by: easknh
  • August 31, 2012

Couldn't Be Parve
Couldn't Be Parve August 31, 2012

There are lots of non chemical options, but it really depends on how the heavy cream is used in the recipe. There is a non-hydrogeneated toffuti sour cream that works decently as a sour cream, but it needs a bit of tinkering. I have a lot of recipes on my site (www.couldntbeparve.com) that use healthy substitutes in recipes that commonly use cream like ice cream and panna cotta. If you have a specific recipe that you want to convert to non-dairy feel free to send it to me and I will help think of creative ways to do it.

susan g September 1, 2012

There is a product called MimicCreme, packaged in an aseptic quart, made from nuts. It appears to have been formulated for food service use, and is meant to mimic cream -- it's pretty heavy!

Couldn't Be Parve
Couldn't Be Parve September 3, 2012

Mimiccreme is great in some recipes, but it does have a noticeable nutty taste which may not be desirable depending on the recipe you are trying to make.

ATG117
ATG117 September 1, 2012

for sour cream, I'd use greek yogurt. Heavy cream may be more difficult to sub.

Ophelia
Ophelia September 5, 2012

Plain non-dairy yogurt works for sour cream, for something like a coffee cake you can add a teaspoon or two of lemon to room temperature soy milk (or other non-dairy "milk" product) and let it sit until it starts to curdle and use that (in the way you might sub buttermilk for sour cream or yogurt in a baking recipe).
For heavy cream I often use the thick cream at the top of a can of coconut milk.

priya
priya February 19, 2014

Flexi creme can be used as a substitute for heavy cream . http://www.flexicreme.com/

Marin Trinity
Marin Trinity February 19, 2014

If you store some cans of coconut milk (full fat) in the refridgerator the fat of the milk will rise to the top you can scoop it off. This works so well that you can even make whipped cream out of it. Also for sour cream, you could try some shaken up full fat coconut milk with lemon juice or vinegar, possibly soy, almond, or rice milk with lemon or vinegar may work as well!