🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: Chrissy's Best Chili Ever

B220c4f8 082c 43f9 b29f 22201cf5d953  img 4768

URGENT!I have a question about the recipe "Chrissy's Best Chili Ever" from MyFareFoodie. Should the beans be rinsed and drained? Just Drained? Include liquid?

asked by Angela @ the well-worn apron over 5 years ago

39c04017 7e7e 43b2 9344 e529de61a1bd  kandm
Kristy Mucci

Kristy is an expert at making things pretty and a former Associate Editor of Food52.

My guess is to not include the liquid but hopefully MyFareFoodie can weigh in!

357b354b 4c02 43ad 8664 b674194054ea  me.pie.cookbooks

Kristy, that is my inclination too but since I'm testing thought I should be sure. There are those that like to include liquid for thickness and "Chrissy" might be one of them. If I don't hear soon I will likely rinse and drain, make note, and indicate if I was wrong.

As a general rule I always rinse and drain my beans. Obviously this removes the canning liquid, which can sometimes be very high in sodium. Also, I tend to prefer my bean soups to be on the thicker side. However, you can always add water or broth to obtain your desired consistency without diltuting the flavor too much. Looks like a killer chili!

F872787f 83b2 41f5 bd88 81fc4f11eebb  crabs

Hi! Sorry for the delay! (I'm currently out of the country.)

I drain and rinse the beans. Hope you like the recipe!!

If you're talking about canned beans, I ALWAYS rinse them, and would not include the liquid. I can taste the can otherwise.