hi whats the difference in terms of cooking with dark soy versus soy sauce.

using it as a sauce for a stir fry.

• Posted by: sheredel
  • February 13, 2012

Nozlee Samadzadeh
Nozlee Samadzadeh February 13, 2012

The main difference would be the salt content of the two soy sauces -- dark soy sauce or tamari is much saltier spoonful-per-spoonful than regular soy sauce. You might try substituting half dark soy sauce and half water.

Sam1148 February 13, 2012

Dark is aged longer, it's primary used for 'red cooked' meats. It has a deeper flavor, slightly thicker and has molasses added for the aging...and some say it's less salty.
Light (Not that abomination "lite") soy sauce will just be fine in a stir fry.

Sam1148 February 13, 2012

Not to thread jack. But some soy sauce expert that sees this thread might be able to answer this one:
I have a half used tin of Kikkoman's Soy Sauce--that's been hiding in the back of a bottom cabinet for at least 5 years. I opened it up and poured out a sample. Whoo! It's fermented into a alcohol smell, and taste pretty strong. Not overly salty tho..just a heady alcohol wiff. I hate to throw it out because it's so unique.
Did I inadvertently make 'dark soy' out of that...or some type of soysauce liquor?

sheredel
sheredel February 13, 2012

the host of a PBS weekly series on all things food did a blind taste testing of soy sauce and rated Kikomen's the best. oh the show is called A Splendid Table-