🔕 🔔

What is the desired texture for soda bread dough?

My dough is always so sticky, I can barely knead it (i.e. there is so much stuff stuck to my fingers that I tend to lose patience...). Should I add more flour?
The result is a good, bud dense bread. Not great yet...

asked by Aime.See over 5 years ago

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

Soda bread is traditionally, a dense loaf, of relatively flavorless bread. I like it, my friend's grandmother made her grandmother's when I would go to his house, and it always was a hit. So I think you're doing things right. If you desire a lighter crumb (texture) try using cake or pastry flour as it contains less protein, thus yielding less gluten, this yielding a lighter crumb.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

If this is a soda bread, I believe you should be stirring, not kneading -- treating it like a muffin, not a yeast bread. Then you can let the mixer or stirrer get sticky, and not your hands.

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Here's Merrill's recipe for soda bread. Click on the slideshow link and you can see the exact texture of the dough. it doesn't look sticky at all. It's great - I've made it a few times.

http://food52.com/recipes...