Are uncooked potatoes bad for you?

Potatoes that are not fully cooked. ie blanched potato sticks from the deep fryer.

• Posted by: Hurley
  • February 19, 2012

Sam1148 February 19, 2012

They should be fine...they're not 'uncooked' of they've been blanched.

IMHO, stop worrying about little stuff for the diet. And undercooked potato won't poison you. It might not be tasty, and texture might be off. I'd be more worried about the oil they where blanched in. I'd rather have rendered porkfat or duck fat, or beef tallow than canola (which didn't exist before the 70's) and smells 'fishy' to me. No hydrogenated fat for the oil also, please.

hardlikearmour February 19, 2012

Raw potatoes aren't really bad for you, unless they are green or sprouted. Some of the uncooked starch is not digestible. They also contain (primarily in the skin) some protease inhibitors which could interfere with digestion, so do peel them before you eat them.
http://www.utsandiego.com/news/2009/aug/05/1f5focusm195324-pros-and-cons-munching-raw-potatoe/