Does crepe batter really need to rest for an hour?

Julia *and* Jacques say so, but I'm not sure why or what difference it will make.

VanessaS
VanessaS February 20, 2012

When it rests, the bubbles in the batter go away - when there are bubbles in the batter, the crepe is more likely to tear.

boulangere February 20, 2012

I routinely rest mine so that the gluten (protein) in the flour can relax. The crepes are more tender as a result.

amysarah February 20, 2012

I agree. After a rest, the crepe texture will be better and I also find there's a more amalgamated (for lack of better culinary term) flavor - less flour-y.

Voted the Best Reply!

davidpdx
davidpdx February 20, 2012

Per food scientist Harold McGee: When you rest batters, you’ll notice that the batter gets thicker. This is a sign that the dry ingredients are continuing to soak up water from the wet ingredients. Just as presoaking beans cuts their cooking time way down, soaking the tiny flour particles means that they will cook through more fully and evenly in the couple of minutes that a crepe or pancake has on the griddle, so the texture is finer. If you do age a batter, it’s often a good idea to add more liquid to thin it again just before cooking; that thicker aged consistency means less spreading in the pan and a denser result.

allans
allans February 20, 2012

Yes. Don't skip the rest period. I've done it both ways and the rest is a major benefit.

Monique Ciceron
Monique Ciceron February 22, 2018

Of crepe batter is not rested properly how will it affect the final product

702551
702551 February 23, 2018

Kenji over at Serious Eats does not rest his crêpe batter. He outlines his reasoning in this article:

https://www.seriouseats...

nancy essig
nancy essig February 25, 2018

All respect to Kenjii biut when asked to choose between him or Julia, I will err on the side of Julia