🔕 🔔

Does crepe batter really need to rest for an hour?

Julia *and* Jacques say so, but I'm not sure why or what difference it will make.

asked by Michelle_SF over 5 years ago

4fa8f6fd a181 41aa b4e7 be25efd9ec07  100 0039

When it rests, the bubbles in the batter go away - when there are bubbles in the batter, the crepe is more likely to tear.

I routinely rest mine so that the gluten (protein) in the flour can relax. The crepes are more tender as a result.

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

I agree. After a rest, the crepe texture will be better and I also find there's a more amalgamated (for lack of better culinary term) flavor - less flour-y.

Per food scientist Harold McGee: When you rest batters, you’ll notice that the batter gets thicker. This is a sign that the dry ingredients are continuing to soak up water from the wet ingredients. Just as presoaking beans cuts their cooking time way down, soaking the tiny flour particles means that they will cook through more fully and evenly in the couple of minutes that a crepe or pancake has on the griddle, so the texture is finer. If you do age a batter, it’s often a good idea to add more liquid to thin it again just before cooking; that thicker aged consistency means less spreading in the pan and a denser result.

B8f19483 b6dd 4ee8 b288 d1e5d79af410  face

Yes. Don't skip the rest period. I've done it both ways and the rest is a major benefit.