Does crepe batter really need to rest for an hour?

Julia *and* Jacques say so, but I'm not sure why or what difference it will make.

asked by Michelle_SF over 6 years ago

VanessaS

When it rests, the bubbles in the batter go away - when there are bubbles in the batter, the crepe is more likely to tear.

I routinely rest mine so that the gluten (protein) in the flour can relax. The crepes are more tender as a result.

I agree. After a rest, the crepe texture will be better and I also find there's a more amalgamated (for lack of better culinary term) flavor - less flour-y.

allans

Yes. Don't skip the rest period. I've done it both ways and the rest is a major benefit.

Monique Ciceron

Of crepe batter is not rested properly how will it affect the final product

Kenji over at Serious Eats does not rest his crêpe batter. He outlines his reasoning in this article:

https://www.seriouseats...

nancy essig

All respect to Kenjii biut when asked to choose between him or Julia, I will err on the side of Julia