Can you freeze crepes?

I want to make a bunch of crepes today (like, 50) to be eaten on Saturday morning. Will they freeze well? Should I separate them with parchment paper? How should I reheat them? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Voted the Best Reply!

savorthis
savorthis July 2, 2014

I freeze them with wax paper in between each layer and will cook them just a bit less- so they are not yet browned. They will thaw in the fridge or you can defrost in the microwave (I do just little spurts of time on low power). Since I usually stuff mine, I reheat by putting one in a pan, adding stuffing and then rolling up. You can also stuff, roll and reheat in the pan if your stuffing is not too runny.

ChefJune July 2, 2014

Not only can you freeze them, but they do very well after being frozen. I separate mine with waxed paper, but parchment would probably do as well. I would thaw them in the fridge rather than risk ruining them in the microwave later.

amysarah July 2, 2014

Whenever I make crepes, I purposely make much more than needed to freeze - between wax paper, well wrapped (so thin edges don't dry/crack.) They defrost in the fridge very quickly. When my children were young, crepes were one of my 'money in the bank' freezer caches - reheated quickly in a pan, folded over jam, nutella, cheese, or my favorite: butter, squeeze of lemon and crunchy sugar. Once you're making a bunch of crepes, an extra dozen or so isn't much more work.

Catherine Lamb
Catherine Lamb July 2, 2014

Thank you, guys! This is so helpful.