A question about a recipe: Pink Bolognese

4a6cce6e cc0d 11e5 8e0d 3c15c2d2bb38  37 full

I have a question about the recipe "Pink Bolognese" from Veronica.

asked by foodiebiztraveler over 6 years ago

Mr_Vittles

Alcohol brings out flavor compounds in the tomatoes that normally do not present themselves if you do not add it. Vodka is higher in alcohol, but any other alcohol can be used as well. Vodka is good because it does not add any other flavors to the dish, keeping the flavors clean.

foodiebiztraveler

Thanks Mr. Vittles! Have you tried this recipe? It is divine.

In Italy this is a rather modern sauce with some argument over whether it originated in Tuscany or further south, although I've never heard it referred to as "bolognese" before. In Bologna they are pretty strict about the rules.

Mr_Vittles

I have found the whole of Italy to be pretty strict about (food) rules. Let us remember they have a special "Parmigiano" Police Division.