Anyone have a great recipe for pecan pie?

drbabs November 15, 2010

I love this one from AntoniaJames. It's based on a traditional recipe, but has orange zest, which pairs so nicely with pecans:

nutcakes
nutcakes November 15, 2010

Yes! from Craig Claiborne's old New York Times Cookbook! It was his mother's recipe. Fabulous. I've has people tear up their family recipes for this one. I like to make it in a tart pan.
http://www.recipe.fi/recipes/kathleen-claibornes-pecan-pie-recipe/

Soozll
Soozll November 15, 2010

I made the same recipe as Craig Claiborne except I use Lyle's Golden Syrup instead of dark corn syrup. When the pie comes out of the oven, I brush the top with a mixture of brandy and Lyle's Golden..about 1 Tbsp eash.

Nora
Nora November 15, 2010

Oh, please, if you've ever only used syrup, try this! You won't go back. It's from Marion Brown's Southern Cook Book. It's the Williamsburg Inn Southern Pecan Pie. I'll leave the crust to you.

Here's the filling:
3 eggs
1 pound light brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans

Stir the eggs lightly. Beat in slowly the sugar and melted butter. Add salt and vanilla. Line a pie plate with pastry and sprinkle half of the pecans over the bottom. Pour the mixture over the pecans in the pie shell. Sprinkle the remaining pecans over the top. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes, or until the pie is almost set. Reduce the heat to 225 degrees and cook for 15 minutes, or until thoroughly set.

The only change I make: I use more pecans. It's what my parents made since time began, and it isn't Thanksgiving for me without it.

CottageGourmet
CottageGourmet November 15, 2010

Whatever you do, be sure to add 1 T of lemon juice. It cuts the sweetness and is a lovely counterpoint to the aching in your teeth from all the sugar.

beyondcelery
beyondcelery November 15, 2010

If I may add my two cents...

Try lining the bottom of the pie crust with a thin layer of melted very dark chocolate and setting banana slices into it. Then mix up your best pecan pie filling, adding about 1/16-1/8 tsp cayenne pepper. Pour over the bananas, top with whole pecans, and bake as usual. The chocolate and bananas will bake into the filling, making it richer, and the cayenne adds warmth to the whole. It won't be spicy exactly, just extra warm and bright.