🔕 🔔

Anyone have a great recipe for pecan pie?

asked by Heather Bklyn about 7 years ago

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I love this one from AntoniaJames. It's based on a traditional recipe, but has orange zest, which pairs so nicely with pecans:

Yes! from Craig Claiborne's old New York Times Cookbook! It was his mother's recipe. Fabulous. I've has people tear up their family recipes for this one. I like to make it in a tart pan.
http://www.recipe.fi/recipes...

I made the same recipe as Craig Claiborne except I use Lyle's Golden Syrup instead of dark corn syrup. When the pie comes out of the oven, I brush the top with a mixture of brandy and Lyle's Golden..about 1 Tbsp eash.

Fc23ea4b 9ae1 494e 8a6f ba43f6488062  me by barbara tyroler

Oh, please, if you've ever only used syrup, try this! You won't go back. It's from Marion Brown's Southern Cook Book. It's the Williamsburg Inn Southern Pecan Pie. I'll leave the crust to you.

Here's the filling:
3 eggs
1 pound light brown sugar
1/4 cup butter, melted
pinch of salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 cup chopped pecans

Stir the eggs lightly. Beat in slowly the sugar and melted butter. Add salt and vanilla. Line a pie plate with pastry and sprinkle half of the pecans over the bottom. Pour the mixture over the pecans in the pie shell. Sprinkle the remaining pecans over the top. Bake in a 350 degree oven for 40 minutes, or until the pie is almost set. Reduce the heat to 225 degrees and cook for 15 minutes, or until thoroughly set.

The only change I make: I use more pecans. It's what my parents made since time began, and it isn't Thanksgiving for me without it.

8fa0f8d4 835b 492f a30f 05fa2f72d82b  pict0361

Whatever you do, be sure to add 1 T of lemon juice. It cuts the sweetness and is a lovely counterpoint to the aching in your teeth from all the sugar.

766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

If I may add my two cents...

Try lining the bottom of the pie crust with a thin layer of melted very dark chocolate and setting banana slices into it. Then mix up your best pecan pie filling, adding about 1/16-1/8 tsp cayenne pepper. Pour over the bananas, top with whole pecans, and bake as usual. The chocolate and bananas will bake into the filling, making it richer, and the cayenne adds warmth to the whole. It won't be spicy exactly, just extra warm and bright.