🔕 🔔

What wine should I serve with Bo Ssam (Korean pulled pork)? Any side dishes/salads to serve with it?

Hello helpful Food52'ers! I am going to make Momofuku's Bo Ssam this weekend and haven't a clue what kind of wine I should serve! Perhaps a dry white?? And can you recommend a side dish and/or salad to accompany the bo ssam? I was thinking maybe some kind of 'Asian' coleslaw, but am open to any recommendations. Thanks, as always, for your help!

asked by CarlaCooks over 5 years ago

B5d4c31e d9a4 4f0e ae4e ecaa0cf95de6  dsc 0253 2
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

I would be inclined to serve the same wines that you'd normally serve with other asian foods - so yes, probably a zippy and dry Riesling or Gewürztraminer? However, I'm also a big fan of bubbly with everything, so a super dry prosecco could be fun since Bo Ssam is such a party food. Beer would be good, too, of course - an IPA to cut through the fattyness of the pork would be in my glass, I think. Also , yum! Have fun!

69d2403d 88f4 4b72 b0b9 84a21f4d0561  img 1445

Thanks for the recommendations, Miranda! I, too, am a huge fan of bubbly... specifically the kind that's pink and comes in a Moët bottle!
I might serve some beer for 'the boys', but I'm not a beer drinker. One way or the other, we'll have fun and eat well!

Those are some great suggestions, NeuB! Thanks so much! My problem is that I live in Denmark, where the selection of wine isn't the best and the prices are outrageous (especially for a California girl... where's my $5 bottle of decent chardonnay?!?). I am planning on serving the bo ssam with the recommended rice, bibb lettuce, and different sauces. I am just looking for another side to serve with it all... I'm considering Sagegreen's Asain pear slaw (http://www.food52.com/recipes...) or maybe bitchincamero's spicy mango cucumber slaw (http://www.food52.com/recipes...).

Wines that are high in acid and low in alcohol, with a little residual sweetness are usually best with spicy food. Rieslings from Germany or Alsace and Alsatian Gewurztraminers are our favorites. Demi-sec Vouvrays work well sometimes. We've always been disappointed when we try to pair a red wine with these foods.

Thanks for the recommendations, ChefJune. I think I am going to end up going with a nice white... possibly an Alsacian Riesling or Portugese Vinho Verde.

I like the cucumber kimchee. There's a recipe for them for the pork belly buns but I think they go well with the bo ssam. Crisp and sweet but the rice vinegar gives it a little zing and cuts the fatty pork.

That's a great recommendation, keel. The cucumber kimchee sounds like it would go perfectly with the bo ssam. Thanks so much!

Keel, could you provide me with a link for the pork belly bun and cucumber kimchi recipe? I can't seem to find it. Thanks!

1097a5b5 1775 4eec a8ea 7421137b65dc  image 2 apples claire sullivan 2

Reisling would be a good choice. For a slightly more off beat - and usually inexpensive - option, you might want to try a chilled Vinho Verde, from Portugal. It's young, so high in acid, low in alcohol, and fairly fruity - goes well with spicy Asian dishes and I love it in summer with bbq pork ribs and such, so I think it would be happy with the bo ssam. It's light fizz works well with rich, fatty, porky deliciousness.

I didn't even think of vinho verde, amysarah, but that would be great! My husband and I love spending a long weekend in Porto in the summers, sitting by the beach with a bunch of grilled sardine, a nice crisp salad, and of course a bottle of vinho verde. Thanks for the recommendation!

Sorry, it's been a while since I made the cucumber kimchee. It just has salt and sugar not vinegar. Here's a link to the recipe. http://newyork.timeout...

I also like a spicy daikon radish. Here's a link for it (not a Momofuku recipe).

http://www.maangchi.com...

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

Thanks for the link -- what a great resource!

added about 1 month ago

You have sour sweet hot and rich. I would serve a crisp Chenin or Viognier or Alsatian Gewurtz. And for the red folks, gutsy Zin not too heavy or Chilean Almaviva (Bordeaux grape blend).