🔕 🔔

Milk in bread

I made Boulangere's brilliant Hearty Harvest Bread but skipped the milk as I'm lactose intolerant. The result was incredible bread nonetheless. Can I generally skip the milk in bread and sub in water, or could it have disappointing results?

asked by softpunk over 5 years ago

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

Milk obviously adds liquid, mostly water, but it also had lots of delicious fat in it, especially if its whole. Generally, yes, you can always sub out milk for water, but know, the resulting bread will not be as rich or flavorful as bread in which you include the milk. Consider milk that has been purged of Lactose, like LACTAID, it is quite delicious can be be an appropriate substitute.