🔕 🔔

Gluten-Free baking question...

For this recipe: http://www.wholefoodsmarket... what can I susbtitute for the almond flour?

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer about 5 years ago
766e7ce3 8394 4788 8337 bbd8a8d3a07e  5.15.11 coconut macaroons best sm

For that recipe, if you can't do any ground nuts or nut flour, I'd just sub sorghum flour for it. That's a whole grain flour, nutritious, and it's a little denser than rice flour. It'll change the texture of the recipe slightly, but probably not so it'd be noticeable. Sorghum has a relatively neutral flavor as well; it's a little nutty and a little sweet, but shouldn't cause a problem with the overall flavor profile of the bread. Have fun!

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

If you can eat nuts/almonds, you can grind them in a food processor, just enough to make a fine powder, not nut butter.

67da29df 0253 44dd 98a1 250b49e519a4  hilary sp1

Sorghum sounds like a good choice, but I'd be more apt to choose Buckwheat (yes it is Gluten Free and no it isn't actually wheat). Buckwheat has a nice flavor in and of itself, and I think would enhance the flavor of the currants already in the recipe.