Gluten-Free baking question...

For this recipe: http://www.wholefoodsmarket.com/recipes/1467 what can I susbtitute for the almond flour?

beyondcelery
beyondcelery February 29, 2012

For that recipe, if you can't do any ground nuts or nut flour, I'd just sub sorghum flour for it. That's a whole grain flour, nutritious, and it's a little denser than rice flour. It'll change the texture of the recipe slightly, but probably not so it'd be noticeable. Sorghum has a relatively neutral flavor as well; it's a little nutty and a little sweet, but shouldn't cause a problem with the overall flavor profile of the bread. Have fun!

susan g February 29, 2012

If you can eat nuts/almonds, you can grind them in a food processor, just enough to make a fine powder, not nut butter.

Hilarybee
Hilarybee February 29, 2012

Sorghum sounds like a good choice, but I'd be more apt to choose Buckwheat (yes it is Gluten Free and no it isn't actually wheat). Buckwheat has a nice flavor in and of itself, and I think would enhance the flavor of the currants already in the recipe.