🔕 🔔

Flavor Loss & Grain Salads - Advice?

Hi. I've notice that when I make a rice or farro salad with a vinaigrette dressing (balsamic, red wine, etc.), the flavor is strongest on the day its made & really weakens after spending the night in the fridge. I love leftovers, so it's disappointing. Has anyone else noticed this? Any tips?

asked by Phoenix Helix over 6 years ago

67544da8 1862 4539 8ec8 2d9dfc2601bb  dsc 0122.nef 1

some of the 'flavor' components in dressing may be volatile and tend to dissipate as soon as they leave the bottle. The chemical 'ethers' & 'esters' responsible for these flavors are alcohol soluble which explains why red wine tends to 'unlock' them as opposed to a water based solvent. (this is the same reason why wine is often added to tomatoes Adding water can simply never release these chemicals from the tomatoes). My tip would be to add the dressing as and when you eat the salad.

I can't say I've had this problem but what you might consider is to set a partial batch of cooked, undressed grains aside. Hold them with a coating of olive oil and dry seasonings (herbs, salt and pepper) refrigerated and finish them with a freshly made dressing the next day.

9ed12a6a b9d2 4d9d 9def 48ceb8acfccc  phoenix

Ahhhh, a simple solution. Thank you both.