A question about a recipe: One Pot Kale and Quinoa Pilaf; How Do I Cut The Kale?

95e0cbd6 925c 4ae8 8bf4 5a1217c9e4ef  food52 04 17 12 6173

I have a question about the ingredient "lacinato kale, washed and chopped into 1" lengths" on the recipe "One Pot Kale and Quinoa Pilaf" from deensiebat.
How do I cut the Kale? It says 1" length... does that mean I should make 1" slices (strips) OR Keep the natural width and have wide but 1" in length pieces?
I'm sorry I know this is probably a stupid question.

asked by AshleyCooks9 over 6 years ago

Your question is a great question. When working with kale and chard it is useful to cut the stems out that go up the inside of the kale and chard. They can be very tough. Then roll the leaves and chop them into desired lengths and widths. The object is to have bite sized pieces without the tough stems.