A question about a recipe: One Pot Kale and Quinoa Pilaf; without cheese?

95e0cbd6 925c 4ae8 8bf4 5a1217c9e4ef  food52 04 17 12 6173

I love this recipe and have made it a handful of times, already. my husband enjoys it, too, but he is not a cheese-lover. any suggestions for how to make this recipe without the cheese? or maybe with a cheese other than goat cheese? thanks!

asked by bk_novice over 7 years ago

I'd just leave off the cheese. Does he eat ham? A slice of 1/8 inch prosciutto ham diced..would pare nicely with the kale and replace the salty element of the cheese.

vrunka

I make a similar salad with either garbanzo or cannelini beans -- you could try that in place of the cheese. It would add a little flavor and textural difference and make it more of a substantial dish. You might want to up the salt and lemon a bit, too, to make up for the missing cheese.

My husband doesn't eat goat or feta cheese either. I make it without the cheese, and then add a little cheese to mine after I serve his.

bk_novice

thank you, everyone. drbabs: you don't think you need the cheese to help lubricate (for lack of a better word) the ingredients during mixing? do you think I should increase the oil if I take away the cheese?

walevitt

you could probably make this without the cheese, though maybe try something like creme fraiche or sour cream instead.

bcstarke

I'd recommend avocado.

Tarragon

I make the pilaf with feta. It doesn't need the cheese for moisture; if I were to substitute anything I'd substitute something salty, like salted nuts (instead of the pine nuts), or capers or olives. The ham suggested by Sam would serve the same purpose.