A question about a recipe: One Pot Kale and Quinoa Pilaf; How Do I Cut The Kale?

I have a question about the ingredient "lacinato kale, washed and chopped into 1" lengths" on the recipe "One Pot Kale and Quinoa Pilaf" from deensiebat.
How do I cut the Kale? It says 1" length... does that mean I should make 1" slices (strips) OR Keep the natural width and have wide but 1" in length pieces?
I'm sorry I know this is probably a stupid question.

95e0cbd6 925c 4ae8 8bf4 5a1217c9e4ef  food52 04 17 12 6173
Recipe question for: One-Pot Kale and Quinoa Pilaf

jwlucas
jwlucas March 7, 2012

Not stupid! Stack and roll your kale leaves, cigar style, then cut horizontally into strips.

Sam1148 March 7, 2012

Do like above, it should be cut across the width--rolling is a good option.

As an aside: For collards, kale, mustard green...any green that's needs to be really clean. A big bunch and be a pain to clean to get all the sand and grit off.
Fill the washing machine in the laundry room with cold water. And clean it there. Don't let it agitate, but do let it spin dry.
(okay, you're worried about left over detergent in the basket right? shouldn't be a problem if you use good unscented detergents--but you can run a short cycle empty with some white vinegar to clean the basket if you're worried).

chairmanhu
chairmanhu March 7, 2012

That is brilliant!

jwlucas
jwlucas March 7, 2012

Washing machine?! I find a good soak, rinse and whirl in a salad spinner is adequate.

Sam1148 March 7, 2012

Hahah. Yeah, but if you're making a 'mess o greens'. Space is an issue.
It was something my mother and her mother used to clean a big harvest of greens. You don't use the machine to run through a cycle, but just to fill with water and swirl around by hand. Then spin dry. Well, that's how they did it.
Apparently, it's not uncommon.
http://hv.greenspun.com/bboard/q-and-a-fetch-msg.tcl?msg_id=006Xmf

pierino March 7, 2012

Sam, that is about the wierdest damn thing I've heard of with the possible exception of watching Bob Bloomer "The Surreal Gourmet" actually cooking in the dishwasher.

Sam1148 March 7, 2012

Yeah, it is. But it's a old time standard trick that dates back to the 1940's, 50's..etc.
At a time when appliances where introduced to the market and people made them 'multi taskers'.
Why buy a salad spinner when the laundry machine can spin and dry, and be used as a big container filled with water to clean sand off of harvest of greens to feed a crowd. Come to think of it, I don't think salad spinners existed in the 50's. I love this kind of food archeology.
BTW: I still do this for collard greens when I get a big bunch of them and the sink is full.

AshleyCooks9
AshleyCooks9 March 8, 2012

~ jwlucas: Thank you SO Much!!!
~ Sam1148: LOL AWESOME! Never would have thought of that!

Thanks everyone for such a great experience! I've been on other sites and posted questions and never received any responce, this was such a help!!!!