A question about a recipe: One Pot Kale and Quinoa Pilaf

95e0cbd6 925c 4ae8 8bf4 5a1217c9e4ef  food52 04 17 12 6173

I have a question about the ingredient "lacinato kale, washed and chopped into 1" lengths" on the recipe "One Pot Kale and Quinoa Pilaf" from deensiebat. What is lacinto kale?

asked by stefany about 6 years ago

It's a type of kale that's darker and has flatter leaves than standard curly kale
Also called dinosaur kale.

First of all the recipe is a definite keeper. Lacinato kale is also called dino kale, devils kale, tuscany kale. As Merrill says, it is flatter. Doesn't have the curly ends, and is not purple. We prefer the taste.

Add another name to its aliases: black kale. It should be coming to the market now and will remain available for the winter. For a photo see http://www.drweil.com/drw/u/ART03040/Tuscan-Kale.html

In Italian, "cavolo nero".