A question about a recipe: One Pot Kale and Quinoa Pilaf

I have a question about the ingredient "toasted pine nuts" on the recipe "One Pot Kale and Quinoa Pilaf" from deensiebat. Would this recipe work with another, cheaper, nut? Pine nuts are VERY expensive.

95e0cbd6 925c 4ae8 8bf4 5a1217c9e4ef  food52 04 17 12 6173
Recipe question for: One-Pot Kale and Quinoa Pilaf

Nozlee Samadzadeh
Nozlee Samadzadeh May 21, 2012

It will totally work with another nut! Chopped almonds or walnuts would be wonderful.

Merrill Stubbs May 21, 2012

Part of the beauty of this recipe is its versatility. You can substitute not only different kinds of nuts, but different cheeses, greens (chard is nice), and even grains. You could use another nut oil or even olive oil, to sub for the roasted walnut oil, another ingredient that isn't exactly cheap!

susan g May 21, 2012

This recipe has lots of comments, and many reports of trade outs that people made in the ingredients. There are many good ones suggested.

Sam1148 May 21, 2012

Don't look for pine nuts in the very tiny jars which are in the spice section. Most supermarkets will have them in deli containers or such, along with sunflower seeds and other nuts for much cheaper.
Just ask. The excess can be frozen for later use.