🔕 🔔

Does the age of flour impact it's use in pastries and pie dough?

asked by Daria Elene over 5 years ago

84e1393f 0d16 4291 80cf 2c42b5acf188  noz photo

Flour looses moisture as it ages -- this is why sometimes you need more or less flour when mixing a bread dough. Unless the flour is years and years old though, I wouldn't worry about it too much!

026c8041 ccce 4f0c 80aa 3a5538fb0802  fb avatar

Yes. Especially if whole grain. If whole grain it is not fresh it will taste stale and even rancid. White flour will last longer but taste it and you will know if you want to use it.

2b00435b fe24 44bb afe2 ad3364f28f79  1390710 10151917400148928 1193325941 n 1

The fat in flour will oxidize causing bad taste in simple pastries. Also, it is not widely known, but there are small eggs in all flour, and if your flour is in a warm place for long enough they will hatch and you will find little weevils crawling around your flour. I know this sounds crazy, but a quick Google search will corroborate this. If you want flour to last longer store it in the freezer or a least a temperature stable, dark place.

C0d1f1de 4134 43ba 9510 1d7a8caa31f3  scan0004

I watched a friend making bread one day. She had a grain mill, ground wheat berries, and used the flour to make her dough as soon as it was ground. I have never seen such life in bread dough! I believe there are enzymes which last only a short time after grinding, which are responsible.