🔕 🔔

What is the best way to cook a hangar steak

I have an approx. 1 lb hangar steak and I have no clue how to cook it. I'm basically looking for the best methodology as opposed to flavor suggestions via marinade or whatever (though that's not unwelcome), but I don't know if skillet, high heat, long low heat, broil, or whatever would be best. I'm in an apartment without a grill, so that's out. Oh and I definitely want to go medium rare-ish. Thanks!

asked by PeachyCallahan over 4 years ago
84baef1b 1614 4c3d a895 e859c9d40bd1  chris in oslo

I usually cook them in a skillet, medium to high heat.

I personally like to rub olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper. Let that sit while you heat the pan, cast iron or heavy based frying pan until smoking hot....have your exhaust on high as once you add the meat it will smoke and oil will splatter.....pat steak with paper towel. Add to pan and cook for 4 minutes on one side, turn and finish cooking on the other side for 3 minutes. Naturally if your steak is thick, timing may change. Hanger steak should be served medium rare so it doesn't toughen up.....

A9f88177 5a41 4b63 8669 9e72eb277c1a  waffle3

Add your answer here

Sometimes known as butcher's steak, flavorful but a little chewy -- do not go past medium rare or it'll be tough. The key is to cook quickly over high heat -- since you don't have a grill, use the broiler.

In France, it's known as onglet and the dish is steak frites. Suggestion: Season with kosher salt and pull it just before it's done. Cover the meat with finely diced shallots and let it sit for 5 or 10 minutes. The raw shallots will sweat slightly as the steak rests. Plate, pour accumulated juices over the meat, throw a BIG pile of fries along side and you could be in Paris.

An alternate suggestion:

http://www.foodnetwork...

07825364 abc5 42f5 bd7f f2a77f00dff0  20090907 jackson 8

This is one of my favorite recipes, that I learned at the CIA French Bistro Boot Camp last year. I like to broil the steak and serve it with caramelized onions and garlic saffron aioli. Just don't overcook, as mentioned above. This steak must be rare.
ttp://www.jacksonholefoodie.com...

823c68f6 e3fc 4d1f b416 fa28b83f5c77  img 0114

Awesome, thanks so much everyone! I think we'll be eating a lot more hangar steak so I can try all these ideas out. Thanks for sharing your expertise!