best way to cook a t-bone steak

I was given some T-bone steaks and have no idea how to cook them. The person who gave them to me said to grill them but that isn't a very good option given that I live in Northern Minnesota and there is snow on the ground and it is freezing outside, so I'd like to either cook them on the stovetop or in the oven. I know how to cook venison but I've never cooked a steak before and I don't want to mess it up.

• Posted by: ktr
  • December 9, 2014

cookbookchick
cookbookchick December 9, 2014

Do you own a cast iron skillet?

ktr
ktr December 9, 2014

Yes I do.

Voted the Best Reply!

ChezHenry
ChezHenry December 9, 2014

A few quick steps:
1. Take out of the refrigerator at least 1-2 hours prior to cooking to allow the meat to come to room temperature.
2. Season very well with salt & pepper.
3. Sear them quickly in a blazing hot cast iron pan
4. Pour off any grease from the pan, and finish in a 375 degree oven until internal temperature of 125-130 degrees for medium rare.
5. Allow to rest for 10-15 minutes prior to carving.

ChezHenry
ChezHenry December 9, 2014

Taking them to room temperature is particularly key here-the bone will actually stay colder longer than the meat. That's why a lot of people fail with this cut-they have raw meat next to the bone, which when chilled, kept the adjoining meat to cook properly.

Susan W December 9, 2014

Chez Henry is right. A rib eye or strip steak is fine if it sits for one hour, but a thick t-bone takes a good two hours. It took me WAY too long to figure this out.

ktr
ktr December 9, 2014

That sounds pretty straight forward. And it makes sense what you said about the bone staying colder and affecting how the adjacent meat is cooked. I would never have thought of that.
I was just reading about leaving the steak in the fridge on a rack for a day before cooking it. Have you tried this? I'm wondering what the benefit of it is.

jmburns
jmburns December 9, 2014

I use a grill pan and sear the steak before putting in the oven to finish. When I put it in the oven I also put a couple of tablespoons of butter on it. And yes I have had a quadruple bypass.

bigpan
bigpan December 9, 2014

If you don't bbq at high heat, then use a smoking hot grill pan. Or frying pan with hot oil and garlic, or broil (watch like hawk).
But most important is to have a full body wine and reasonably loud rock n roll !

keg72
keg72 December 9, 2014

The rack in the fridge idea is to allow the steak to dry out a bit, which helps ensure a great sear. I've not done the rack trip myself, though. I just salt it heavily and then make sure it's at room temperature and then, right before cooking, I pat it down, all over, very well with paper towels.

cookbookchick
cookbookchick December 9, 2014

All good advice! I will add one suggestion that I have found works very well for me. I like to trim off some of the fat from each steak and render it in my cast iron skillet as it is heating up. Thus the steak is searing in its own fat, making the finished steak more beefy-flavorful. At least I think it does but the power of suggestion could be at work here!

Susan W December 9, 2014

Perfect idea. I do the same with lamb.

ktr
ktr December 10, 2014

Great tip!

Sam1148 December 10, 2014

I'll add another suggestion for cooking a steak without access to a grill....and using high sear in a cast iron pan.

Temporary disable your smoke detectors. Either take the batteries out or put a plastic shopping bag over them and secure with a rubber band.

Don't forget to enable them after smoke clears from searing the steak.

Sam1148 December 10, 2014

this might exceed the character limit.
Take the steak and use a lab grade ultrasonic device (new window) to tenderize the cell walls and break down the fat molecules.

Put in cryrovac bag with a bit of rosemary and oil.
Inject some hickory smoke into the bag using a "Smoking Gun" (new window)smoke infusion device.

Using a VacMaster, Dry Piston Pump Chamber machine (new window)..remove the air from the bag to .25 atmospheres of pressure then heat seal.

Place the bag with steak in waterbath. Using a thermal immersion circulator set to 140 for med rare. Let that cook for 10 hours.

With a standard centrifuge separate components of one bottle of A1 sauce. Using pipettes...remove the individual layers and reserve.
Mix components with Calcium Chloride.
Drip into a bath of Sodium Alginate to create caviar sized spheres of each component layer. Drain and reserve.

The steak should be ready by now.

Lightly sear the outer surface a with Carbon Dioxide laser to create a .2 MM crust and dust with pink sea salt crystals and ground pepper.

Top with the A1 Alginate spheres...and herb butter.

Serve with a salad of juiced Romaine lettuce..flash frozen in liquid nitrogen, freeze dried balsamic vinegar flakes with olive oil spheres and tater tots on the side.

ENJOY!

Susan W December 10, 2014

Macgyver at work.