A question about a recipe: Summer Squash Gratin with Salsa Verde and Gruyere

6964e69f 01ba 451a a05a 8238e0022ccd  060711f 592

I have a question about the ingredient "anchovy" on the recipe "Summer Squash Gratin with Salsa Verde and Gruyere" Can I leave the anchovy out or substitute? from Patrice.

asked by chefpatrice over 6 years ago

Sure -- you can leave it out.

Yes, you can leave it out, but why would you?I f you are allergic to them, that is one thing, but anchovies contribute an element of taste, umami, to the dish that makes it particularly savory. You might not like to chow down on an anchovy alone, but combined with other foods, it adds elusive flavor that you will not pick out as 'anchovy'.