🔕 🔔

Cbfb27ea 071f 4941 9183 30dce4007b50  merrill

I've never had much of a green thumb, so your guess is likely better than mine. I usually use store-bought spearmint.

3639eee1 5e0d 4861 b1ed 149bd0559f64  gator cake

I'd suggest smelling +/- tasting the crushed mint leaves of several varieties to see what you like best. I have a spearmint which is fairly sweet and mild, and an orange mint which is spicier with a slight citrus flavor. Beware, though, even in a terra cotta pot it can escape - I've had roots go out the bottom drainage hole as well as seeds that have sprouted away from the pot.

@ Merrill: mint doesn't require much of a green thumb. It's seriously a weed, albeit a delicious one!

E4b7660b f3f6 4873 bd6d 2130a16403fb  img 1088

I like spearmint better than peppermint in most things, so that's what I would ask for. Keep it contained in a pot, or you'll never be able to control it in your garden. (One of those school of hard knocks lessons of gardening...)

I have spearmint in my front yard, and that's what I use for everything. No matter how hard you try to contain it, it WILL escape the pot! (Unless you hang that pot up on a hook)

Spearmint for sure!

There is a type called Kentucky Colonel that I find good with both drinks and food. And I have the only soil that mint doesn't like. I keep trying tho.....

D20ff162 bf8d 4275 a1c3 9384a1d38edb  35388473392 bf944fa6de z
Cathy Erway

Cathy is the author of The Art of Eating In and blogs at Not Eating Out in New York.

It's all up to you! I have about six different mint varieties growing all summer long (best part, mint is perennial, so it'll bounce right back in the spring if you let it out all winter). There's tons to choose from, and the flavors vary greatly. "Spearmint" is the most common variety, the one you'll find when recipes just call for "mint." But I have a healthy chocolate mint (it smells like chocolate) and pineapple mint (ditto, for pineapple) plant too that makes an interesting twist on the expected, while still minty!

Bb911bcd 2446 4d8f 848f cdc2090e999a  leaf cake

I was given a chocolate mint plant that I use regularly. The leaves are curly, and makes delicious mint julips as well!