🔕 🔔

A question about a recipe: The Easiest Alfredo Sauce Ever - the cheese has clumped; is there a fix? or do i have to start over?

E76f3e34 af3e 4b14 8ce1 c57f38a23d23  alfredo2

I have a question about step 1 on the recipe "The Easiest Alfredo Sauce Ever" from lastnightsdinner. It says:

"Melt the butter in the cream in a wide, heavy-bottomed saucepan over low heat, stirring or whisking often. When the butter is completely melted, add the cheese a little at a time, whisking or stirring after each addition. Continue cooking until the sauce is reduced and thickened, about 20-25 minutes. Taste and add salt if needed. Toss with hot cooked pasta, adding a bit of the starchy pasta water to help it all come together. Serve in warmed pasta bowls, adding your choice of garnish, if desired. Pass additional grated cheese at the table."

asked by kinderae over 5 years ago

This is not my recipe so you should wait for LastNightsDinner's answer. Probably you are adding the cheese too quickly, but possibly it's the type of cheese you are using. Parmagiano Reggiano is the cheese recommended, so definitely don't use the stuff in the green box. Myself, I would use pecorino just because it's more Roman and that's where the dish comes from. But neither Parmagiano nor pecorino are terribly good melting cheeses so if you add it all at once it can clump up. Grate the cheese as fine as you can.