What can I do with millet

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 6 years ago

Miranda Rake
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

Merrill's recipe for cheesy millet with chives is pretty delicious, and quite simple, too! http://www.food52.com/recipes...

Millet can be cooked in many of the same ways one cooks rice; i.e., risotto style, or pilaf. I think the grain is much enhanced by toasting it lightly in a dry skillet (the grains pop like popcorn), then removing it and proceeding with sauteing your mirepoix and going on from there.

Interesting to note is that an old Gullah legend is that you should never eat millet with fish because it will make you sick if you do...

To reinforce what ChefJune says, you don't need a "millet" recipe to prepare millet. You can take a rice recipe as a model and adapt. In China and many African countries, millet is a cultural heritage for the table. Some people call it "the queen of grains," due to its alkaline chemistry, rather than the acidic nature of most other grains.