🔕 🔔

If I don't have beans or pie weights, what are some alternatives?

E1aa65ba 7917 4f98 86ec 05080af4fb17  052411f 480

I have a question about step 11 on the recipe "Sausage and Kale Dinner Tart" from My Pantry Shelf. It says:

"Lay parchment paper or foil over dough and fill with beans or pie weights."

asked by liketoeat over 5 years ago

I've used metal spoons, probably you could cram a bunch of foil in there and pierce the crust a bunch of times and that would work too. You can use pretty much anything clean that is oven safe and has some weight to it.

Try uncooked rice.

A479f3f3 cd8b 4b86 837c 0c2f1a9a592e  dsc 0342

I use black beans for my weights along with parchment paper for lining (found that foil sometimes leave crust a tad soggy). Also, using an oven bag to hold your weights makes for easy removal regardless of what you use for weights.