If I don't have beans or pie weights, what are some alternatives?

E1aa65ba 7917 4f98 86ec 05080af4fb17  052411f 480

I have a question about step 11 on the recipe "Sausage and Kale Dinner Tart" from My Pantry Shelf. It says:

"Lay parchment paper or foil over dough and fill with beans or pie weights."

asked by liketoeat over 6 years ago

Ophelia

I've used metal spoons, probably you could cram a bunch of foil in there and pierce the crust a bunch of times and that would work too. You can use pretty much anything clean that is oven safe and has some weight to it.

Try uncooked rice.

DeborahBetty

I use black beans for my weights along with parchment paper for lining (found that foil sometimes leave crust a tad soggy). Also, using an oven bag to hold your weights makes for easy removal regardless of what you use for weights.