Japaneese Breakfast Question about a photo.

Can someone help me here. What is the packet in the sea-foam colored rectangular dish in this photo?

• Posted by: Sam1148
  • March 20, 2012
8a4f29bd 2d79 4728 b41c aa84bf450051  japaneesebreakfast

gary12401
gary12401 March 20, 2012

Looks like maybe bean sprout salad but tough to tell because the photo is small

Sam1148 March 20, 2012

Sorry for the small photo. I'm talking about the thing that's at the 6 o'clock position. That's in a packet.
This link shows the same type of product in the same position.
http://japanizmo.wordpress.com/2008/10/14/rise-and-shine-to-a-japanese-breakfast/
Maybe Nori Sheets to crumble? I don't know.

Darlene Carrigan
Darlene Carrigan March 20, 2012

I looks like packaged nori (seaweed). But....not 100% certain.

sdebrango March 20, 2012

I agree with Darlene looks like nori.

SKK March 20, 2012

Where was the photo taken? Because I travel a lot I first saw an airplane tray and then a room service tray. Then I saw a buffet tray from a hotel serving Japanese breakfast. (Spent a lot of time in Tokyo).

I agree with Darlene and sdebrango that it is nori. The proper way to eat it is to use your chopsticks and lay it on top of your rice and then use your chopsticks to roll the nori around the rice. Easier said than done for me.

Sam1148 March 20, 2012

I was just Google imaging around for Japaneese breakfast ideas...and came up with that. So, Not my photos..but the packets appeared in many images.

Greenstuff March 20, 2012

Definitely looks like nori to me too. And by the way, it looks like a really nice breakfast.

Voted the Best Reply!

BoulderGalinTokyo
BoulderGalinTokyo March 21, 2012

BINGO! You are all correct. Packaged seaweed is seasoned, pronounced NORI, is the same as sushi seaweed (unseasoned). Sam is correct you can crumble it on your rice, but as SKK says lay the nori on top of the rice. The secret is to maneaver your chopsticks so you have one on the left and one positioned on right and grab a chunk of rice surrounded by the nori. FYI -It is OK to pick up your rice bowl and position it halfway to your face (hopefully preventing so many spills)

Korean nori is very popular here now. It is seasoned with sesame seed oil and very tasty. But hard to crumble because of the oil.