🔕 🔔

Why is my cookie sheet burning everything on the bottom? From cookies to roasted squash, the bottom is burnt and the inside isn't cooked!

asked by Zobird over 5 years ago

What kind of sheet are you using? I've not had good luck with the "air" sheets. Also, where are you positioning it? If close to the bottom of your oven, that can overbake anything on the bottom. I'm sure we can help you debrief with a little more info.

Thanks! I used a non-stick sheet that I bought at the grocery store. I put tin foil when I roasted my vegetables and parchment paper when making cookies. I did just use the bottom rack of the oven. Is that part of the problem?

Bottom rack could be the problem. Also, no two ovens are calibrated exactly alike (I know from experience) so don't just trust the dial, it could be off by 25 degrees. Try the middle rack and see what happens but also test your oven for its actual temperature.

516f887e 3787 460a bf21 d20ef4195109  bigpan

Besides moving to the middle of the oven you can also use two sheet pans - one cradled inside the other.

Buy a oven thermometer (cooks illustrated just rated them and they are inexpensive) to insure correct temp!

F28b5dd2 dce7 4ca1 a1e2 0609e7d93848  10131786 03b5 m

To add to the two sheet method, try one empty sheet on the bottom rack, with the cooking sheet on the next rack above. I use this for breads sometimes and it works.