🔕 🔔

Regarding the silicone baking sheets--Are they good for other cooking besides cookies or pastries?

I am interested in the silicone sheets, but they are advertized as only for baking cookies. What about sheet pan recipes or even granola?

asked by Cecile 9 months ago

23d08e08 3b57 4e81 adcd 91701fc50809  fb avatar

Interesting question- I'd think they'd work well for such purposes, as long as the oven temps stayed below 450 or so, but sugars from granola might be difficult to reemove. One alternate purpose I have made use of; they're a good surface for handling particularly sticky doughs.

9c15aeb6 682d 4ed0 8476 5eea30b51de3  image

thx

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Yes, you can use as you would parchment paper. Silicone is a great non stick surface, I am sure granola would be easy to handle

thx

2 ideas...
For baking free-form or braided bread loaves.
Place a spring-form on a silicone-mat lined baking sheet in case there are leaks.

PHIL

PHIL is a trusted home cook.

Ama son has a silicone granola bar mold so I guess it would work to use a sheet. https://www.amazon.com...

Thanks

2487144e c60d 4bdc b4cc 4af767a9ad96  img 6405

When I make granola it goes directly onto the pan, no greasing/oil. It's flipped and turned over many times during baking.
I only use silicone mats for cookies.
Also FYI, never put them in the dishwasher. Hand wash and dry. The dishwasher can break down the silicone and ruin the mat. It states that on the directions but many times people miss reading it.

Thank you

69bfb709 df37 4191 a3fd 2a3948bfcba8  train

I roast two sheet pans of vegetables every week on silicon mats, making cleaning up so much easier and saves my cookie sheets. I also use to bake tofu toss with soy sauce, and even when it looks like it'll be a bear to get the seared soy sauce off the mats, it comes off just fine with a soft sponge and warm soapy water.

Do check with the manufacturer of the mats you end up buying to know the temperature arrange they are safe to be used at. I think mine are 485 or something.

I've used to bake "fried" chicken, potato wedges, pretty much anything I'd normally use parchment paper for. Just make sure you're not exceeding the temperature limit the manufacturer lists