🔕 🔔

How do you know if a mango is good

asked by a Whole Foods Market Customer over 5 years ago

My answer was always if it looks like it fell off the back of the truck, then it's ripe. It shouldn't be very nice looking, but should have a little give when you squeeze it, though not too much. If your fingers leave an impression, then your mango is over ripe, but if they go in just a bit (say less than a cm and without resistance) then you're good to go.

48dd002c 4c45 4b84 8006 ac8614d467cd  dsc00859 2

I buy mine a day or two before I need them. If I see a sweet stick sap coming from the stem end, to me they're ripe.

It should have a nice red-yellow coloring and smell like a mango, a little give but not too much. The small yellow mangoes are often very sweet!