Braised Pork Belly. Any ideas on what to do with the leftover braising liquid?

So much liquid and fat renders off from the belly, it seems a shame to toss it all when done. Are there any uses for it?

asked by mrslarkin over 6 years ago

la domestique

If you let the liquid sit in the fridge you can scoop off the fat that floats to the top, then strain the broth and use it to flavor a simple homemade soup. Maybe something with cabbage, diced pork belly, and potatoes. Or you could use it as a cooking liquid for green lentils or rice to add flavor. Or use the liquid to cook black eyed peas as a side dish or black beans as a soup.

tia.ukpe

Because there is a lot of fat in the braising liquid, when it cools, it is almost like a concentrated stock and I have just reconstituted it with water and use as a base for soups. Or just keep it refrigerated or in the freezer and use it for a nice pork and beans soup or even to flavor your rice or risotto. Hope this helps!

chairmanhu

Save the fat! It has tons of flavor. When cooled, it's great for savory pie crusts in lieu of butter/shortening. When making a noodle soup like ramen, I'll also drop a small spoonful on top with chopped scallions. And the congealed stock works great as a meaty glace for sauteing vegetables with garlic and sherry.

I use the liquid from my Provencal Chicken in the Pot to make a bean soup, and I think your pork belly liquid would be great for that, too. I chill mine overnight and then scrape/scoop most of the fat off for other uses, and proceed with the partially defatted liquid.

Darlene Carrigan

I just used up some leftover pork stock to make ramen. It made for a quick weeknight dinner. If you have any leftover pork belly, I bet it would be amazing in the ramen!

I love all these ideas. Thanks, everyone!