🔕 🔔

Blue cheese developed a separate but same color fungus on top. Is it healthy mildew or should I throw out?

How long does blue cheese hold?

asked by GIOVANNI50 over 5 years ago

B5d4c31e d9a4 4f0e ae4e ecaa0cf95de6  dsc 0253 2
Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

Here's the official word from the Mayo Clinic to cover my bases : http://www.mayoclinic.com...

but I would eat the cheese! As to how long it will hold, it depends on how you store it and how hard the cheese is. Is it gooey and soft, or a hard blue? Somewhere in between? Hard cheeses last longer than soft . As a general rule, soft cheeses will hold about a week or so in the fridge (though always take them out to come to room temp before serving) and hard cheeses last 2 or 3+ weeks.

Been in hospital for over 7 weeks so the hard cheese is probably kaput??

22b9ddc9 fc61 48a3 949e dee341974288  liz and dad

Wow, sorry to hear you've been sick, Giovanni! Hope you are feeling better.

Hard cheeses, like Parmigiano, last a very long time in the fridge. I would probably toss the blue cheese, just to be safe.

Miranda Rake

Miranda is a contributor at Food52.

Mrslarkin is right - 7 weeks is a long time! I would probably toss it. An excuse to make a trip to the cheese shop! Hope that you're feeling better!

Stay out of the hospital man. It's bad for you. And it's also bad for cheese, especially the cheese they feed you in the hospital. I hope you are well now.

In bocca al lupo!!!