I'm making Harold McGee's Smoky Oven Spareribs from the NY Times. It has you add three ingredients (smoked spanish paprika, cider vinegar and 1-2 teaspoons) to the ribs' juices after you've reduced them (after the 6 hours of cooking).

I wasn't paying attention when I was making the rub, and I added those ingredients to the rub, so they've been cooking for 6 hours. I know very well that vanilla extract isn't supposed to be cooked like this, so I worry that if I pour off the juices that are inside the foil, the sauce will only get worse tasting.

Hope this all makes sense. Basically I'm wondering if I should just forget the rib marinade juices altogether or reduce them and risk have a bitter sauce. Thoughts?

phyllis
phyllis September 7, 2010

If the sauce is bitter, try adding some brown sugar, a little at time.

Amanda Hesser September 7, 2010

Should be fine, but you might have to add more of each to the rib juices after reducing them (because the vinegar's sharpness will have softened (mixed with the pork fat), the vanilla flavor will have weakened; the paprika flavor may be ok).

Jocelyn Grayson
Jocelyn Grayson September 7, 2010

Thanks very much to you both. I'll see how it is after it's done. Really appreciate the quick responses.