🔕 🔔

how can I replace anchos with poblanos in a sauce?

I am trying to make a Wild Mushroom-Ancho Chile Sauce a la Bobby Flay. My grocery store didn't have anchos so I bought poblanos. Can I replace the anchos in an Ancho Puree with poblanos? If so, what ratio should I use? Any special preparation for the poblano before the substitution? Thank you so much!

asked by AlexisL over 5 years ago

Dc6dab61 0a80 4308 b0cf d5d06d9d7ac1  kroka kitchen

To clarify, did you buy fresh or dried chiles? Poblano chiles and ancho chiles come from the same plant. If you bought fresh green poblano peppers, then that will alter the flavor of the dish. Sometimes poblanos are sold dried. If you bought dried poblanos then there is no need to do anything different, You have what you need.

Unfortunately, I bought fresh poblanos. Any suggestions on using them in place of the dried chiles? Thanks again!

Excellent - thanks so much for your help!

The sauce turned out delicious!
I love Food52!